Sep 20, 2025

I went to the movies!

I had been procrastinating of late about going and catching James Gunn’s Superman in the theater and I finally did get around to it today.

I can’t say I was expecting anything one way or the other and I was trying to remember the last time I actually saw a movie in a theater and I realize it has been a very, very, very, very long time. Right now I am literally trying to think of the last time I went… I know I saw Blood and Thunder in the theater but I also think I’ve seen something else since because I know the theater I saw Blood and Thunder in and I took someone to the movies and it was the same theater I went to today but I can’t remember what the movie was!

That’s scary, I really can’t remember and I don’t want to text the person I went with…

So, I saw Superman and it was pretty good.

It’s definitely very different than the Zack Snyder movies but that’s okay. It’s been out awhile so if you’re reading this I’m assuming you’ve seen it and I’ll try not to drop plot points if possible.

The things I liked?

I happened to like how they got some other DC characters into the film. I liked seeing Metamorpho, I liked the version of Hawkgirl, I liked seeing Guy Gardner and I really, really, really liked Mr. Terrific who is one of my favorite characters.

Nicholas Hoult’s Lex Luthor had to be one of the best if not the best Luthor. I liked Jesse Eisenberg’s Luthor and was sorry they didn’t use him more but Hoult really did hit it out of the park. His motivation as well as just how perfect a villain he was in the film was one of the better things in it.

Honestly? The Engineer being thrown in was a little off-putting. I mean the actress was great and she tied into the story somewhat but without her origin story really being part of the movie you’re left with a lot of unanswered…

Well, that’s where I left that one.

Overall, I think Gunn is on a good path even if he keeps using certain actors a little too much including his brother and Nathan Fillion.

Superman overall is a very good movie. I am disappointed they didn’t continue with Henry Cavill because he was a great Superman but Gunn’s version isn’t a bad version and David Corenswet does well in the role. The thing about this version is we don’t really see Clark Kent so much, it’s not a movie where the character is Clark Kent first and Superman second it’s more the opposite.

Currently they’re talking about what the next steps are for DC. Apparently another Batman movie is in the offing though what’s being said is that this version of Batman doesn’t exist in the same world as Superman. The thing that does exist in the same world though most assuredly is Peacemaker and the second season is currently running and still highly entertaining.

Also, the common thread or the foundation for everything Gunn wants to do moving forward may be what is being done in Peacemaker as the multi-dimension aspect of things is a key plot point in this season.

Gunn may have actually stolen some of the thunder from Marvel but when you look back on comic history, DC was the one who did the ‘multiple dimension’ thing first long before Marvel ever did going back to Crisis on Infinite Earths. Now as Marvel moves into the next ‘phase’ of their movie lineup, dimension hopping is going to be the big thing (that’s how you get a Robert Downy Iron Man and a Robert Downy Doctor Doom).

The Flash movie was built around the dimension thing and it appeared to be the last gasp of the ‘Snyderverse’ but Gunn now picked up the baton so who knows what that means moving forward. All I can say is so far so good. 

No comments: